Action Alert | Medicaid Renewal Required Again
Since March 2020 individuals insured through Medicaid retained their health insurance coverage through automatic continuous enrollment. The pandemic-era policy paused annual Medicaid eligibility verifications and prevented health insurance coverage disruption based on eligibility.
Beginning as early as April 2023, most states will resume annual Medicaid eligibility verifications and again require Medicaid clients to renew their coverage. It is predicted that millions of Medicaid-eligible people will lose their health insurance coverage as they encounter barriers during the renewal process. Ensuring accessibility of information, forms, and assistance is key for preventing coverage losses and gaps.
Important renewal information for Missouri and Illinois may be found below.
Annual renewals for Missouri Medicaid (MO HealthNet) will start as early as April 2023. Not everyone will complete their annual renewal the same month. Typically, the renewal process will occur the same month as the anniversary of when an individual’s coverage first began. Every currently enrolled Medicaid individual will receive a renewal letter at some point between April 2023 and April 2024.
Preparing for Renewal:
- View the annual renewal timeline here
- Learn more about renewing Medicaid eligibility in Missouri here
- View renewal FAQs here
- Family Support Division Information Line: 1-855-373-4636
The first renewal notices for Illinois Medicaid (HealthChoice) will begin being mailed in May 2023 for those whose coverage is due for renewal by June 1. Each person’s renewal date is different. Coverage remains the same until an individual’s redetermination month. A notice will be mailed one month before an individual’s due date.
Preparing for Renewal:
- Visit abe.illinois.gov and click “Manage My Case” to set up your online account.
- Verify the address you have on file to ensure you receiving mail to the correct address for renewal notice. View your address at the “Contact Us” tab.
- Review your due date so you know when to expect the letter by clicking on the “Benefit Details” tab.
Learn more about Illinois Medicaid and the end of continuous coverage here.
- Healthcare and Family Services Bureau of All Kids Line: 1-877-805-5312
People already enrolled in Medicaid in both Illinois and Missouri should:
- Check and update your contact information through your state’s database today.
- Check your mail. A physical letter will be mailed to your address on file.
- Complete your renewal form (if you receive one) immediately.
If renewal is not submitted or someone no longer qualifies, they may lose coverage a month after their renewal date. For example, if a renewal date is June 1, they could lose coverage as early as July 1.