Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® Program - Summer 2018
Deaconess Foundation will sponsor a network of CDF Freedom Schools programs for children in grades kindergarten through five in the St. Louis region. The seven-week program provides summer enrichment around five essential components: high-quality academic enrichment, parent and family involvement, civic engagement and social action, intergenerational leadership development, and nutritional, physical, and mental health. Enrichment is driven by the Integrated Reading Curriculum (IRC) which primarily focuses on literacy to curb summer learning loss and close achievement gaps.
Deaconess will hire three (3) individuals, as Site Coordinators, who are committed to active lives of leadership and service for children. Individuals with a valid Missouri teaching certificate are strongly encouraged to apply. For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com by January 3, 2018.
Site Coordinator Position Description
The Site Coordinator manages the day to day operations and serves as the supervisor for one CDF Freedom Schools program site. The Site Coordinator should be capable of leading an intergenerational staff. The Site Coordinator should be committed to the goals of the program, able to work collaboratively with all program constituents and be familiar with the culture and dynamics of the community.
- Work in conjunction with Project Director to recruit children for the program.
- Work in conjunction with Project Director to train and manage staff.
- Maintain the safety of all staff and students on site.
- Ensure proper implementation of the CDF Freedom Schools program model by managing daily site activities.
- Attend all required trainings.
- March 14 - 18, 2018 in Clinton/Knoxville, TN
- June 1 - 9, 2018 in Clinton/Knoxville, TN
- All local trainings
- Maintain the safety of all students at the site.
- Serve in a supervisory capacity and the primary contact for the Servant Leader Interns during the June Ella Baker Child Policy Training Institute.
- Work in conjunction with Project Director to check book inventory upon receipt and notify the CDF designee of any discrepancies.
- Work in conjunction with the Project Director or other designee to coordinate afternoon activities, field trips, family engagement initiatives and volunteer responsibilities.
- Work with Servant Leader Interns to identify and schedule guest readers and lead Harambee.
- Ensure Servant leader Interns have the necessary books, materials and supplies for daily activities.
- Conduct daily debrief sessions in an effort to maintain team spirit, as well as provide technical support and feedback for Servant Leader Interns.
- Observe Servant Leader Interns facilitating Integrated Reading Curriculum lessons and provide constructive feedback frequently.
- Input child, parent and staff enrollment data in CDF’s reporting system.
- Maintain regular communication with Project Director.
- Ensure that the CDF Freedom Schools Integrated Reading Curriculum is implemented with fidelity.
- Must have completed at least one year of college
- Servant Leader Intern experience at a CDF Freedom Schools site is preferred
- Possess strong leadership and management skills
- Exhibit positive behavior and attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor
- Possess excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of other cultures
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings