Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® Program - Summer 2018
Deaconess Foundation will sponsor a network of CDF Freedom Schools programs for children in grades kindergarten through five in the St. Louis region. The seven-week program provides summer enrichment around five essential components: high-quality academic enrichment, parent and family involvement, civic engagement and social action, intergenerational leadership development, and nutritional, physical, and mental health. Enrichment is driven by the Integrated Reading Curriculum (IRC) which primarily focuses on literacy to curb summer learning loss and close achievement gaps.
A key goal of the CDF Freedom Schools program is leadership development: identifying, training, nurturing, linking, mobilizing and empowering a new generation of effective, young servant leaders on behalf of children. These young leaders serve in the capacity of classroom facilitators as servant leader interns.
Deaconess will hire young adults, as Servant Leader Interns, who are committed to active lives of leadership and service for children. For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, official college transcript and two letters of recommendations to email@example.com by January 5, 2018.
Servant Leader Intern Position Description
College-age young people and recent college graduates play a key role in the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® program as servant leader interns. CDF Freedom Schools servant leader interns are responsible for the front-line care and nurturing of the children. Using the Integrated Reading Curriculum, they serve as facilitators in the classroom and as leaders of parent workshops and community outreach activities.
- Deliver Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of no more than ten students for 6–8 weeks during the summer months, according to the standards developed by the Children's Defense Fund and the local program sponsor.
- Set up and break down his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
- Collaborate with staff to establish/maintain supportive and structured environment for children entrusted to care.
- Serve as a Harambee! leader each day of program operation.
- Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips.
- Participate fully in the National Training. (1st, 2nd and 3rd year servant leader interns only).
- June 1 - 9, 2018 in Clinton/Knoxville, TN
- Must be at least 19-30 years of age, have completed at least one year of college, and have plans to complete the college degree
- Maintain or have graduated with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Experience managing large groups of children, college-age young people, and parents
- Solid commitment to children’s advocacy and enthusiasm for the CDF Freedom Schools program
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures.
- Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas and ability to think critically and analytically
- Exhibit positive behavior and attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor; possess excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to the ethics of good character, humility, and servant leadership
- Current voter registration (as eligible by law)
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings