History


Deaconess Foundation, with a faith heritage reaching back over one hundred years, is committed to the same dramatic changes for children that were brought about over the last century.

 

1889

Evangelical Deaconess Society of St. Louis established and first Deaconess Sisters consecrated. First home for the Deaconess Sisters opens at 2119 Eugenia Street.


1893

A new Sisters’ home opens
at 4117 West Belle Place.


1930

Deaconess Hospital is dedicated
at 6150 Oakland Avenue.


1943

School of Nursing is established.


1956

Deaconess Memorial Chapel is dedicated.


1989

At Centennial, Deaconess establishes the
Deaconess Parish Nurse Ministries.


1997

Deaconess Incarnate Word Health System
is sold to Tenet Health System.


1998

Deaconess begins grantmaking
as health conversion foundation focusing
on the children of the St. Louis community.


2004

Deaconess Impact Partnership is created.


2010

Sister Marie Lee, the last surviving Deaconess Sister,
dies at the age of 100.


2012

Deaconess Foundation launches community
capacity-building program.